Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: A sad pair of 8Gs

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    A sad pair of 8Gs

    Two Altec 604 Speakers for Altec Lansing Repair 604 8g | eBay

    Never like seeing a pair of Altecs, especially a pair of 604s, like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: A sad pair of 8Gs

    I'd hate to be the fella that thought he had them safely stored away.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A sad pair of 8Gs

    Talk about gut wrenching.

    One looks salvageable, the other not so sure.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A sad pair of 8Gs

    They look like they have the horn with the hex socket screw holding the outer portion on. I've only seen this type of horn once before. Apparently you can remove the mouth and leave the throat attached. No idea why.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A sad pair of 8Gs

    Isn't that how UREI put the blue horn on?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: A sad pair of 8Gs

    604b&c~1.jpg
    They all have a screw/bolt in that location. What difference does it make if it's a socket head, or phillips head?

    The screws attach the throat to the motor assembly, the horn is glued to the throat.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A sad pair of 8Gs

    Hi Bowtie.
    All but one pair that I've seen bolt the throat to the motor assembly through holes in the flange and glue the horn to the throat. The picture you posted shows the flange mounting holes and the holes in the throat section but not in the horn portion in the C to G series pics on the left. If I remember correctly, the Manta types are bolted through the inside of the horn. There are 604-8Gs with a mantaray horn so they may have been doing their typical cost cutting by using the same throat on different versions.
    I've had E, G and 16X types with no screws in the inside of the throat. I only mention the hex socket type screws because that's what I saw.
    Mine are in boxes right now but I'll dig them out and post a photo later.
    This ad for a 604E in USaudiomart shows the throat as I've seen them: Vintage pair Altec 604e Super Duplex and N1500a crossovers Photo #474970 - US Audio Mart

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: A sad pair of 8Gs

    With all due respect, and for sake of friendly discussion, i believe the view of the screws on those 604E's is obfuscated by lighting and camera angle.

    I know of no other way to secure a 604C and beyond horn than those 2 bolts/screws that secure the horn to the pole piece of the woofer motor.

    I suppose there's room for the screws to be on a flange external of the horn throat and hidden by the dustguard, but i cannot recall seeing that in a factory C, E, G horn.

    With the later style Urei horns, you cannot see the screw from the front as they are covered by foam.

    2

    7
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A sad pair of 8Gs

    After a quick unpack and viewing here are two of my 604-8G horns with and without screws:

    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...0806-00244.jpg

    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...0806-00242.jpg

    As to my 604E's, I bought a pair that the previous owner had relieved of the felt. They also had the mounting bolts through the flange as shown in the Altec literature. Unfortunately, I don't have photos of those. I think it was moved to the inside because the horn made removal of the screws difficult when reconing.
    I'm sure that if we could get a few more 604 owners to comment, we'd find other variants.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: A sad pair of 8Gs

    Many thanks for posting those pics, didn't mean to sound doubtful of you. There's nothing like seeing them.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.